Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Holmes Lil' Blizzard Fan

Dear Little Blizzard,

You understand, of course, how your diminutive name could not stand in my books. That "lil' " business had to go. While you may be short in stature, your windy ways have blown away all my defenses. I'm yours, for the entirety of your one-year warranty and beyond in the drift of time.

I remember where we met. Bed Bath and Beyond, in Charlottesville. It was summertime. I was there to get a fan for my brother, his dorm room was baking. He needed a fan, like all college kids. There were all those blustery ones stacked and clipped and huddled together in a mass on a display table. The usual type. The type that had put upon me, that I was putting up with. I didn't know there could be anything else. I was on one side. You were on the other. We... we were lucky.

Something tickled my ear. I touched it before I turned, did you notice it. Past the tall column rotationals--the kind that I always knew where just out to compensate for something--and the hotel-sized white ones with the ribbons tied to the front to pester you, was you. On the other side, yes, but aimed just right at my ear lobe, subtle but spot on. You knew me then.

Don't ever forget me when I put you in storage every winter,
Noren

No comments: